22 June 2006

The Purrell of Peace

It's Sunday. I'm at St. Gym. I'm giving the sign of peace to the people around me. Some of them get hugs, some of them get handshakes, and some little ones get little kisses. Their are even some across the church from me who get secret signs and winks because they are so special to me. We're going merrily along. We get back into our little pew places and as I look forward I notice the woman in front of me is squirting some hand sanitizer on and rubbing it in. I am completly aghast. Yes, that's really the only word for it,"aghast". Oh, say what you will about germs and bird flu, but c'mon, it's the sign of peace for goodness sakes. I mean, what's next? The Archbishop washing our feet on Holy Thursday with latex gloves on? Or, maybe auto-fonts for the holy water. You'll just wave your finger in front of it and it'll spritz a little water on your hand so you can make the sign of the Cross. No mess. No fuss. No more wondering, did I use too much or not enough?

Ok, ok - it's just that it really irked me, but live and let live. However, I do wonder what she thinks when she hears the Gospel when Jesus cures the blind man with mud made out of his spit? Would she rather be blind? And, then it occurs to me - in some ways she is and I pray for God's great love to fill us all.

3 comments:

Grish said...

Hehe. I actually have one of those little things of hand sanitizer...:P

Lorraine said...

I'm so going to affect a hacking cough the next time I give you the sign of peace!

Anonymous said...

Anytime you would like to resume your writings would be fine with the audience.